Saturday, January 29, 2011

Alilaussiecalchafoyall

I have been thinking and dreaming about blogging for a few days now, so I had to jump on. We're just headed out to the Big Day Out Festival in a couple of hours, should be good! But in the meanwhile,

I have a new bike! It's shiny and it's blue, and and it's BEEyootiful. I'm excited to take it for a spin when I get a few moments to myself. I got a job! I know am a kitchen hand at a sweeet cafe/bar/music shop that is a 5 minute walk from my house, they play really awesome records all the time and serve delicious food and drinks, all of which I will be learning how to make. I have already learned how to make the perfect spencer martini, as we had a couple of ladies last night that had a few...or so :)

I went to a rubics cube party the other night and half of the people there were kiwis, which made me feel right at home. For those of you that don't know a rubics cube party is, it's where you go wearing as many colors of different clothing as you can find and you swap with others so that you try to end up in one solid color by the end of the night. I ended up white, but did not show up to the party wearing any white at all, lol. It was a good time.

I've generally been having fun taking the piss out of aussies because of the way they speak. It seems as if they try to combine as many words as possible when they're talking. I probably ask people to repeat themselves about 100 times every day. My housemate has a theory that the drier the place, the less people want to exhale because it releases moisture, so here in the dry, dry outback country they're just trying to preserve their body/water ratios... who knows? Some examples of the slang I've heard so far is they call bed comforters: donnas, flip-flops: thongs, swim suits: cozzies, mosquitos: mozzies, sweaters: jumpers, sunglasses: sunnies, the list could go on. I'm noticing myself talking more and more like an aussie without even trying. Pretty soon no one will recognize me when I call them :P

Life is good, it's supposed to be 40 degrees celsius today :S and we're supposed to be outside for about 10 hours for the festival. LOTS of water, LOTS of sunscreen. I've come to notice that the real danger here in Australia is not the sharks, or the jellyfish, or even the alligators, but the SUN. It is mean here! Super sunscreen applied many times daily is necessary. Plus I picked up a sic floppy sun hat from a garage sale yesterday. I'll fit riiight in.

There's too much excitement in the house. I have to sign off, but I'll Be BAAck.

1 comment:

  1. Just because you don't hear from me very often doesn't mean I'm not thinking of you!! I was glad to hear you're NOT in the cyclone area of Australia. I guess that's like asking me if I ever go to Disneyland, since we're both near the Pacific Ocean. How long do you figure you'll be traveling? I wish you were here to help me with the play I'm doing with the 5th grade! xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete