Tuesday, January 11, 2011

A not so sad story of gardens and shows and ONE TRUE MISSION

I'm really touched by all the positive feedback I've been getting from everyone about my blog! It wouldn't be as awesome without all you wonderful readers :)

I've been down. I'm not gonna lie. Homesick, lonely, all that jazz. I've got through it. Hopefully. I'm feeling pretty good at the moment. Let me share the past couple of days and how I deal with my moodiness.

On Tuesday I went through the botanical garderns, walked at the foot of the oh-so-famous Sydney opera house. Reading in grass in a beautiful park is a great past time for those that are feeling homesick. You'd never know that you weren't in Parc Jeanne Manc (or insert your favorite park). Then when you get bored get up and walk a bit further along and lie down and read some more. Isn't it lovely the things you find to occupy your time when you're unemployed? Just as I was thinking, and I mean literally at that moment I as thinking, I should do a guided tour, a group of people MAGICALLY appeared in front of me, what the heck? And one of them had on a bright red shirt "free guided tours". No joke. I just caught the tail end, but I did find out that crocodile dundee was one of the workers that painted the Harbour Bridge before he became famous and that people have sex on it sometimes, I wasn't sure why that last part was relevant...akwarrrd.

Then I wandered out in search of gelato, oh it's good (white chocolate and salted caramel). Walking is great, you see so many things. It was about an hours walk home, I passed an entire street full of backpackers trying to sell campervans and other vehicles, a strip of thai massage parlours (not the sexy ones) and couldn't resist a special that was going on, and when it started to rain I took shelter with a lovely girl from Slovakia that is now my fb friend. We had a nice chat about what she thought of Australians. Basically they are very laidback, perhaps too much so for her taste, and they have very little goals and responsibility it seems. Does this fit your idea of an Aussie? Ended the day with Black Swan and my lovely roomie (I'm sorry Flatmate), Simon.

Very early, too early the next morning. Train downtown, and stand in line for exactly 2.5 hours. As I said they Sydney festival is going on and I couldn't resist checking something out. When I went to buy a ticket, any ticket, there were none. What are these ticket booths for anyways?? So there's this thing they do for those really disorganized/masochistic people, where they sell tickets at a ticket booth downtown for cheaper and for shows that are already sold out, the fibbers, sold out is relative I guess. The booth opens at 8am and first come, first served. I was about 7th in line :) My line mate is Pioter, yoga extrodinaire. We are both after tickets for the same show. We eye each other competitively, haha, not really. He invites me to his fiancees yoga class that evening and a 'lift' to the show afterwards. I really love the slang they use here. I told him about cutting my bangs and he thought I was joking that we call bangs bangs, they're 'fringes' here. HAHAH. Anyways he also convinced me to buy an extra ticket and make a new friend: my mission for the day.

I started by busking in Hyde park. Who doesn't want to make friends with a happy ukulele player?? Turns out the people that do aren't up that early, but I did get $2, a few smiles and waves, and one staring baby with a mohawk. Resigned I take the train home with my $2 and bid farewell to Simon, who is off to some random town with his gf for a few days.

Round 2: Newtown; bustling, cafes, op shops, stray kitty association, my kind of place. Surely someone would like to go to a show tonight? No success. I did finagle a free pair of earrings due to damage from one op shop though. I stopped in the aforementioned bike shop with the cute story idea, from a previous post, and asked the woman if she'd like to go, people in bike shops are always nice. She was busy, but she recommend gumtree, the aussie version of craigslist and was such a nice bike person that she let me use the shop's computer.

Ad:
I have an extra ticket for smoke and mirrors tonight. If you'd like to go, show up at the entrance, the speigaltent at around 9:15 with a rose in your hand and a poem. Whoever has the most interesting poem shall receive the ticket.

How many people do you think showed up? None. Oh well. At the absolute last minute I found the only person in town that seemed to be in public with his own company, guess most people don't get out by themselves. Luke. Thank you Luke, it was a relief not to have wasted the ticket. The circus show was great, singing, dancing, magicians, and crazy sexy guys doing stunts. My new yogi friends dropped me home and tea and sleep was all I could muster after the long day.

Woke up feeling sad, but left my new earrings at the yoga studio, so guess I had to go to yoga this morning. One of the most powerful tools I have found in combating feeling down has been yoga. I swear, it's magical. I felt so much better after the class and walked back to the train happy with my new earrings aswingin. On the train I met another Torontonian! Yay. She was really interesting. She's writing a book about people over a 100 years old, in 100 different countries. She was on 88. I'd like to read it when she's finished. She had a lot of interesting things to say, but unfortuantely was only going 2 stops on the train. So long, Janet.

Currently I've spent the whole day practicing ukulele, which is my other top way of combatting the evils of depression. And I've bought my train ticket to Melbourne AND I've got my first couchsurfing host lined up. G'day Danni! Can't wait. But I feel sad to be leaving my friend Sydney behind. You will not be forgotten...

No comments:

Post a Comment