Monday, January 3, 2011

The Wander

The funny thing about arriving in another country is that you're constantly on the lookout for how this particular culture varies from your own homegrown variety. Your mind attempts to make a solid distinction.
Well the turth is, that each person will have their own unique experience. Suer there's language, accents, tipping policies or lack thereof, but ultimately it's the luck of the draw. Who you run into, what street you happen to turn down, or who you sleep in the same room with.
Backpackers or hotels give endless options for activities and I pick and choose through them, but at the end of the day one of my favorite passtimes is 'the wander'.
Now 'the wander' takes a bit of skill you see. Don't just up and go.
1. First things first, check to see if there are any dangerous areas to be avoided. I asked some locals what their thoughts were on Sydney and they told me that it's pertty safe, but perhaps avoid the red light district, called King's Cross, at night by myself.
2. Decide how hungry you are. I don't know how many times my bloodsugar has dropped so low that every restaurant I pass isn't good enough because it's too expensive or the menu doesn't look good. Just go into the next place you see, you're deciding skills have long been left behind.
3. Be open to opportuniity. Go with your instincts. If you've been walking in a stright line and feel like turning left, then just turn left. It always feels like a game to me. I'm on a quest. ADVENTURE. There's always something interesting around the corner if you let it.

No comments:

Post a Comment