Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Settling down and wigging out

So this new couch, an interesting experience I would have to say the least. The guy who I stayed with, Joe, was a really lovely boy, a party animal to the t. He spent the night at a friend's place, so I had his little bungalow out the back to myself, or so I thought. I passed out hard, as I wasn't feeling very well and I was really tired and a few hours later, about 3 or 4 am, this guy that I had seen at the bar a few nights earlier, throws open the door and flicks on the lights. My first thought was "where am I?" He looked at me and I looked at him and we both said, "what are YOU doing here?" Pretty weird. Turns out it's his cousin's place. He starts chatting to me randomly and I'm wondering if it'll ever end so I can go back to sleep. Then he strips down to his underoos and tries to hop into bed with me, there's another bed right next to the one I'm in! I politely tell him that if this is his preferred bed, then I'll happily sleep in the other one. That's not what he wants, but he eventually gives up after more talking, sigh. And we happily go to sleep.

The next morning I got a call from Steve, who was renting out a room in his house, until he gave it to moi! Phew, after the night I had, I was happy to go. Now I live in Kensington, address is:

7 Belmont Road
Kensington, VIC
Australia 3031

In case anyone wants to mail me. Cough cough, wink wink, nudge nudge :)

So now I have my very own room in my very own place that is full of...music and ukuleles. Steve has 4 ukuleles! And he's a guitar teacher. Brenton, my other roomie, is a music student and just recorded one of my songs yesterday. I'd post it if I knew how to, but I don't.

So after I got the call my friend Harley picked me up and we went in search of The Perfect Beach. Now The Perfect Beach is not an easy thing to come by. It takes many hours of seaching, many detours, and quite a few kilometers covered, and of course talking to the locals. We ended up in Torquay (pronounced TOR-KEY) finally. And a lovely Finnish girl told us the best spot to go. It's never going to be a Hawaiian Beach, but salt water and sand was good, minus the biting flies it was a lovely excursion. Harley let me drive home on the freeway, which was interesting, I got really into passing people. Apparently you can get a ticket for going 2 km over the speed limit here and there are speed cameras EVERYWHERE! Crazy, you really have to keep your eye on the speedometer all the time.

After a much needed peaceful and enjoyable sleep, Steve, Brenton and I went about setting up my bedroom. And then I got an ukulele lesson...



I have really enjoyed myself living here so far. Steve and I went shopping at the Vic Market and bought loads of fruit and veg, we've had many good chats about books and music and psychology, and we've even had a jam already, I played the hand drum.

Brent happens to be going to the Big Day Out music festival that I'm going to, which works out well and he took me to a friend's BBQ for Australia Day, I found it to be very similar to Canada Day and felt right at home. So much so that I ended the night looking like this:


I even look like I've got the beer belly to top it off, lol. You can't tell, but the sock has an Australian flag on it, and Brenton and I went to the supermarket and got Australia shaped burgers! I made a joke about how Tasmania was missing and everyone laughed and said no it isn't because 3/4 of the people at the party were from Tassie :)




No comments:

Post a Comment