Thursday, February 3, 2011

A lot of green and a tinge of blues

Halrightythen. So I have decided that giant festivals of 50,000 in the searing Australian sun are perhaps not for me. It was a good experience though and I did see a few good acts. Props to The John Butler Trio, fabulous musicians, excellent drum duet, they're playing actually made me want to cry because Johnny was so amazing. Tools performance was absolutely beeeyootiful, of course, how could we expect any less? Rammstein was very theatrical and entertaining, and I do admit I enjoy their music, although I tend not to like so much noise usually. And last Bliss and Esso had a great show, the best audience I saw all day, and even did a wicked encore. Fun stuff.
I must've applied sunscreen about 20 times, refilled my water bottle about 40 and had to take periodic shade breaks, plus I spent a monstrous amount of money on food. I had a huge floppy hat that made my head feel in the shade all the time :) Unfortunately I have no pictures because I didn't want to worry about carrying around my camera, there was lots of wetness. You could stand under sprays of water in order to cool off a bit around the fairgrounds.
I did have my second run in with a random as person. 2 1/2 years ago I lived in Wellington, New Zealand, and I happened to be standing in the drink line at the festival with a friend of mine from that time. Hello Alastair. Really funny.

Now my veggie garden. I'm getting really into it. I play my uke and sing to them every couple of days and I know they're loving it...

Here we've got lettuces, strawberries, spring onion, garlic chives, zucchini, basil, parsley and you can't see the little guys so I took a couple more photos.

Rocket, aka arugala.

and BEETROOT! Isn't the colour just gorgeous?

I ran out of room in my little veggie plot so I had to plant a few around.
Here's my eggy plant. I also have a jalapeno in the works and a few more zucchinis. 

There were a couple of things already growing....
Some tomatoes that I think my housemate is setting out to kill, but I am secretly nursing them back to health with my ukulele :) and I'm sure the fertilizer I put on it doesn't hurt ;)

AND an olive tree! It's actually much bigger than the photo but I wanted to get those olives in, aren't they pretty? I'm not exactly sure what you do with them when they're ripe or how you know they're ripe. I've never had fresh olives before.

And if I haven't uprooted, hardy har har, you from the post from all these planty photos, I have just one more that I picked up yesterday...
Isn't she just lovely? Brenton and I fed her a moth yesterday, but I can't tell if she likes it yet. Hopefully it's not a poisonous moth. Could I have just killed her?

So those are all my lovelies! They make me very happy. They don't poo or yell or fart, well maybe the occasional fart...as I am in charge of the composting.

Otherwise, work is going well. I've already been put in charge of cooking up some specials for the special board, and I mean literally and in my head. I panicked a bit, but I had just looked through the cupboard and I got a little help from my friend Rabia and we made pumpkin daal and salmon fishcakes, which I was proud to see on the board yesterday! I will have to post some photos of the place. I'm working bar tonight so I'll bring my camera.

Life has been pretty quiet otherwise. I miss my friends :) I love you guys. It's hard at times being in a new place, as much as it's exciting at times to be in a new place. I get through it though and I've been working really hard on music. I'll have to set up a myspace so I can put up a few tracks sometime when I get a few more recordings in. I've convinced my housemate to go to some open mike nights in the coming weeks as well. So more adventures to come. Love to all my avid followers and everyone else too.

1 comment:

  1. Love your Blog Sarah - so well done and fun to read. As a dedicated organic vegetable gardener I particularly liked this post. Your garden is sweet. Love, Auntie Judi

    ReplyDelete