Thursday, September 15, 2011

Time travel to Thailand

My dear readers, I'ved skipped off to Thailand without warning, booking my flight 3 days in advance because it was cheaper. This may have seemed reasonable at the time, but a hasty departure ends up costing more and making up for the money saved in the first place.
But here I am and so far so good. It has only been about 15 hours since I arrived and half of them were unconscious.
I decided to land in Phuket, instead of the usual Bangkok, which involved me flying backward to Sydney and then forward again from whenst I came. It was worth the hassle though because it's nice to arrive in a calmer environment.
I was feeling quite nervous just before I boarded the airpland, but once I was on there's no turning back so my mind and my nerves slowly adjusted accordingly.
Thailand reminded me of Bali in quite a few ways, so I'm very glad to have had that experience under my belt with company beforehand.
I'm staying in a Thai version of a hostel in Kata Karon. It doesn't involve bunk beds and you are allotted your own privacy, but still get the benefits of meeting fellow travellers, which I am very happy for as I am on my own.
Hazel is about my age and from England. She's already well seasoned in SE Asia having visited Cambodia, Laos, and Vietnam and this being her second time in Thailand, her favorite of the big four.
I'll be in the country for 2 months and my 5-week Thai massage course startes October 10th in Chang Mai, which is over 1,000 kilometers from where I am currently.I hope to travel the distance all by land so I feel like I'll see a bit of the country along the way.
Being in a foreign place makes me want to hide in my room, but thankfully I am human and get hungry and thirsty and am forced to venture outside at some point, where I realize that it's not so scary afterall. I walked all the way to one of the three nearest beaches.
One of the things that helps me when I'm feeling vervous about going somewhere is to picture my dad and imagine how he walks, the long, slow, careful steps, and before I realize it I"m out of the hostel and on my way to new adventures! Thanks Dad!
A second thing that always calms me is being close to the ocean. THe sound of the waves crashing, the smell of the salt arir and the feeling of the warm ocean rushing around my ankles always drags me away from my fears and worries and clears my head to make room for some more positive thinking.
Today was no different. The water was so warm, the sun bright and the sand soft and wonderful under my bare feet. I couldn't ask for more.
I've eaten 2 meals so far. For breakfast a chicken and coconut milk soup with all the usual beautiful Thail fresh herbs and spices: lemongrass, ginger, chillis and these delectable mushrooms! A few Thai people nearby were impressed with me eating the local cuisine so early in the morning.
And just now was my second meal, some fish with a sweet, sour, spicy sauce. Delicious.
Both meals were between $4 - 5 USD, and I reckon I can find cheaper because both places sported a large selection of "western food" on the menu and are obviously quite touristic.
I saw a food car motorbike drive by, but I was neither close nor brave enough to stop them or get a good look at what they were serving. Soon enough I will be frequenting these travelling delicacies.

More to come soon I do not doubt. I have enough time on my hands for 10 people at the moment.

Much aloha to my faithful readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment