Thursday, September 29, 2011

The Shopping Mall Experience

I went to the mall today and really took a look around. It felt like a very foreign place. I'm not one to go to the mall even when I'm home, but somehow it was more interesting in Thailand. It's a very strange place, the mall. It could almost be an American mall, but there are so many clues as to the fact that it is a very, very Thai mall.

My first clue was when I kept getting randomly lost down these hall ways that seemed endless and when I got to the end of them I wasn't really sure what a lot of the stores supplied. I followed a sign for about five minutes that led down one such hallway, it was advertising the "IT store". I was really curious what 'it' could be. Is 'it' even a That word? I think not. It ended up being an electronics store, not very interesting. Except for the fact that it looks like laptops cost as much as cars, due to the fact that prices are in baht.

There was another hallway I wandered down with loud music and noises. I just followed the noise past random shops that were hard to identify, lots of game machine tooooo... a whole section set up with booths to play video-game karoke! And there wasn't even an empty booth for me to play :( I'll have to run there before school gets out next time :) Seems to be the 'thing to do' after school hours. Shove as many people as you can into a tiny room and sing away! 

Another clue telling me I am not in Kansas anymore, was when I headed upstairs to follow a craving for some comfort food. A big red glowing "DQ" sign. Dairy Queen is the original mcflurry. I don't care what McDonald's has to say about it, they totally stole the idea and DQ has better flavors, RESSES. Although I'm sure they don't have an inkling what peanutbutter is in this country, so of course they didn't have Resses. BUT if I really wanted to I could have gotten a waffle cone with corn ice cream. CORN, really! Big yellow kernals of it mixed into white soft serve. I went with the safe dipped in chocolate variety myself, but I was a bit tempted. Why make it if it isn't good right? Somebody must eat it.

Since I am taking my foot reflexology course I had the mission of finding all the materials I needed to practice. It's always good to have a mission when you enter a shopping mall, or you get lost, or maybe that's just me :) Foot cream was on my list, and while I was scouring the pharmacy shelves for cream, I just happened upon the lustrious and wonderful 'beer and egg' shampoo. LOL! I couldn't help but secretly smile to myself. Really I need a friend to laugh with. I hope you guys think these things are funny and I'm not just slowly going crazy unbeknowst to myself...tell me if I am would yah?

Crazy Thai people with beer shampoo and doughnut sushi and tiny, tiny clothing. I'm always afraid to try anything on because I'm not sure if my size is really my size. What if nothing fits me? It would be embarrassing to carry all these clothes to the changing room, if I could figure out how to get to one, and then all things are too small.

The whole thing was a mystery to me. A shopping mall of mysteries.

I wonder what Thai people think of us when they come to our shopping malls?

No comments:

Post a Comment